Thursday, July 8, 2010

Photos - Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio "Hungry planet"

Heya folks, today I'd like to share with you an amazing couple: Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio.

They have an impressive CV and have won a passel of awards and are all around interesting (check out their bios here). I first heard of them reading the Times that did a piece (three parts no less! Part1, Part 2, Part3) on their book called "Hungry planet: what the world eats". You might want to check the photo gallery that has series of pictures on themes like Food, travel, technology, water, death, and many others... They're totally worth it!
These are people that have something to say, I think that they're quite eloquent... I suspect you'll agree.

All of the following pictures are from part 1 of the Times photo album:

10 comments:

  1. Yes they really are, on several levels! : j

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally fascinating! I'm amazed at how much money is spent in other countries that is more than the US. I thought we'd be eating more. But I think maybe we're eating more, but our food is cheaper compared to other first world countries. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lydia, if you'd like some context perhaps you should take a look at: http://www.menzelphoto.com/misc_linked/HPContents.pdf
    The link above has some additional information and stats at the end.

    And yeah, groceries are remarkably cheaper (on several levels) in the USA than in several first world countries. There's a number of socio-economic reasons for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alesa, I looked at that PDF. I totally think Americans are eating themselves to death. I see it at work every day. Thanks for posting all this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this is one of the gold posts.
    You're very welcome. Sharing neat/interesting stuff is very purpose of this blog. : j

    Though because of my interests it tends to gravitate towards photography and art. Shrug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what I liked best about these photos? Looking at all of their expressions...

    Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heya Maria!
    I liked that too... And although photography can be misleading, it's interesting to note those who overtly look happy and those who don't. :j

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've looked through this book several times, and have been tempted to buy it. What we eat explains who we are. Though it would be nice to have several pictures of families in the same country. It's hard to generalize about a country's eating habits from one picture of one family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think you can. For one thing, as we mentioned earlier, difference between the rich and the poor wouldn't be taken into account. I suppose the best you could do is take sample subjects from the most represented segments.
    I'm pretty sure this book isn't intended as a work of science. As vessel for a social message, and a work of art-photography, it works admirably well, I think. : j

    ReplyDelete