Monday, June 27, 2011

Music - Zoë Keating (cellist extraordinaire)

Before any palaver from me, click play here:

Sometimes music feels as if it is addressing me personally. It finds latent emotions within me and plays them, a form of resonance that sometimes makes beauty ache as I am swept away into the artist's soundscape.
Of course, most music can't do this for me, but I've just discovered somebody whose music does: Zoë Keating.

I won't go on about how she uses tech to sample herself and do multi track cello compositions, or about all the awards she has won, or all the big names she has played with. If you're interested, you can find out more about her through the links at the bottom of the post.

I will mention that she's had some up and downs with digital distribution and that the way she talks about music is lot like the way authors talk about writing...
Listening to her talk about music sounds very familiar indeed:




Listen and buy her music here.
Check out her blog here.
Zoë Keating on Wired about her creative process.
Follow her on twitter.

And anyone who eats okonomiyaki
as demonstrated by this twitpic of hers
gets extra coolness points!
Not that this lady needs extra coolness points!

4 comments:

  1. Cool hair! Wonder what's living in there unbeknownst :) I am so interested in hearing about her process! Thank you for posting this. I will have to do it from home however. Damn work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that thing about making beauty ache? For me it happens when I hear something or see something that almost reaches perfection. There is something that happens to my body, as if it is being pulled apart...stretched to encompass every nuance of this art. I can't explain it. But yes...an ache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Annie... It sounds like you can explain it and have just done so... But words fail to convey the personal impact of an emotion.
    And yet, words are what we have to communicate with; I think I can glimpse the feeling you're describing thanks to the words you've used. So I reckon we're coming out ahead in our adventure in communication. : D

    Passing thought: you know, I think cellos echo the wealth of whales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so talented.

    I don't know what we'd do without music because of the emotions it raises within us. You appreciate it even more than most. Reading your post reminds me of The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

    When I first stared my ETS, one student was absent the first month. She's a violin-playing prodigy. But I didn't get to hear until last month when she performed at the 8th-grade graduation. I was amazed that one person could make one instrument sound like several.

    ReplyDelete