Sunday, June 5, 2011

Double bill- Music and Comics: "Moon Hooch" and "Pants are over rated"

Well, I've been back from my holidays for a week now and it's time to share some of my recent "Oh wow, this is great!" finds...

No one has ever accused me of lacking rhythm on this blog, but it would have been fair to do so... Well in the name of rhythm I give you these upstanding gentlemen (except the drummer, who is sitting): Moon Hooch! Who apparently not only rock, but also rock the NYC subway:


There is a number of videos featuring this awesome trio (Mike Wilbur and Wenzl McGowen on tenor saxophones, and James Muschler on the drums) on youtube... So you can look them up there, you can go to their bandsite page (here), which has 8 tracks you can listen to or download, and you can friend them on facebook (here)

And now for something completely different... Or is it?

Some of you may already suspect I have deviant tendencies... Well you're right! I am a proud lover of webcomics! And I stumbled upon these two strips yesterday as I was daydreaming about having Charlie Brown/Snoopy, Calvin/Hobbes, Jon Arbuckle/Garfield interacting in a post apocalyptic environment and having a look to see if it had already been done... Anyways, net snooping following it's own paths, I remembered finding a plethora of Calvin as an adult fanart, and wondered if I could find any for Charlie Brown (the answer: not really, but there's a nice set of animeified peanuts characters floating around)... But there where two fanart Calvin strips I hadn't seen from a brother duo Tom (the artist) and Dan (the writer) who form "Pants Are Overrated", which is chock full of a chaotic mess of geeky humor; and in some ways is a lot like what Penny Arcade used to be (for the webcomic literate).

Enough preamble!
Here are the two strips that caught my (and everyone else's) eye (and aren't entirely representative of their usual style, as they humorously point out in their first strip following these two):
Hold control and click on the thumbnail
or wheel click on it to view it!
Hold control and click on the thumbnail or wheel click on it to view it!

11 comments:

  1. I love the comics! Absolutely brilliant - I'm such a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moon Hooch! I want that on a T-shirt. I want to be a groupie! Great name, a rockin sound. No, indeed, Pollyanna...you've never lacked rhythm, or humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya Sangu, it's nice to see you posting on your blog again. : j
    Not surprised you're Calvin and Hobbes fan... It strikes a chord in people with imaginations. : D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Annie! Heheh, I was referring to rhythm of posting (sounds like I'm talking about riding a horse doesn't it?: p)... But thanks for the pep talk! I've said it before you're the Pollyannie here. : j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. I've been looking for a new post. Why does that NYC city subway look so clean? And why didn't I ever pass anything that fun going on when I took the subway?

    I can't make the comics big enough to read them even when I click on them. Any way I can see them larger?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings Theresa!
    Perhaps it's fake! Filmed at universal studios! That would explain why it is so clean! ; j
    Just kidding, of course...

    While this party was probably organized in advance, there are a number of youtube videos with them online featuring impromptu events, like people spontaneously dancing... I suspect that statistically, things like these represent a minority of what you can see in the subway. So you always have to to keep your eyes peeled for the magic, because it's there, wandering in a sea of grey commuters. : D

    Erm that's odd... What browser are you using? In most recent browsers, if you do a wheel click, or hold Ctrl down while doing a left click it opens the image in a new tab. You could also do a right click on the thumbnail and select "open link in new tab" from the drop down menu.

    At this point the image should be in it's own tab, and when you mouse over it, the cursor should change into a magnifying glass, click on the image once and that should give you access to the full sized version of the image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the comics. I've never seen those before. Thanks for the introduction :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're very welcome. Sharing the joy, that's the whole point. : j

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed these - thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouldn't it be great to be waylaid on your way to work by an act like that?!

    I've heard of Calvin and Hobbes but never seen it before, so thanks, these are great! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Namaskar Lulu! Glad you liked'em! : j
    -
    Heya Eryl! What? Nonono... That won't do. Expect mail from me in the near future. : j

    ReplyDelete