Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Art - Learning to love you more

I've recently come across this website called "Learning to love you more".
To best describe it, I'll cut paste from their intro:

"Learning to Love You More is both a web site and series of non-web presentations comprised of work made by the general public in response to assignments given by artists Miranda July and Harrell Fletcher. Yuri Ono designed and managed the web site."

The project took place from 2002 to 2009 so, unfortunately, it's too late for us to officially take part. It's still very interesting to see/hear/listen to what others did, and to observe how people from different backgrounds articulate a guiding directive in different or in similar ways... 
At any rate I hope you'll have as much fun exploring the website as I did.

Here are just some some of my favourites...

Assignment #32  
Draw a scene from a movie that made you cry:

"The final sequence in Requiem for a Dream that is entirely about devastation and degradation."
Natalie T.
Oakland, California USA

"From Fight Club, You met me at a very strange time in my life."
Chiara
GERMANY


Assignment #4
Start a lecture series.
In Touch a picnic lecture series on absorbing art through the skin 
 "In Touch"
Ric Royer 

Assignment #42
List five events from 1984.

-Being in Los Angeles  for the Olympics but only seeing the torch.
-Being upset that Reagan won again.
-Hearing Punk Rock For the first time.
-Checking out Doonesbury Anthologies from the Fletcher Branch Library in Little Rock and photocopying the books at my mother's receptionist job.
-Cooking for my family the first time.
McCloud Zicmuse
Olympia, Washington USA

Assignment #63 Make an encouraging banner.

Julia J.
Charleston, South Carolina USA
In large friendly letters? (THGTTG FTW) ; j

Assignment #16 Make a paper replica of your bed
Anne Farrell
Perth, AUSTRALIA
And on that note I bid you all goodnight. : j

4 comments:

  1. Marvelous and wonderful. Thanks so much for the examples and the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. Some people are so creative. I love that little bed. I love anything in miniature. I suppose small things seem manageable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting examples. It made me think about the responses I'd give. I'm off to check out the website.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha Kass! Glad you enjoyed it! : j
    -
    Howdy Annie, I especially like the choice of books they used underneath that bed. ; j
    Are small things more manageable? I find that small things have complications that all their own when it comes to managing them. : j
    -
    Heya Theresa! I know what you mean, I felt halfway tempted to make some projects to start projects of my own, but considering how hard it is to get people to synch for our photo safari's (which should be relatively undemanding in terms of time) I reckoned that just imagining it would be best. : j

    ReplyDelete