Friday, March 30, 2012

Video - Hip to Potter

Trends have always piqued my curiosity. Why does one story that has all the elements of another become a mainstream hit whilst the another, potentially superior (at least in my mind), does not?
Yes, marketing, circumstance, timing, etc.
There is a different cocktail of reasons in each case.
I have always been interested to observe how major trends come and go, perhaps because I exist on the fringe it's easier for me to do so... It's certainly easier to observe them as an outsider than to try and chase them and conform to them as an insider.
Here's a look at the lighter side of that phenomenon.



Link to the youtube channel of its makers: The Get Go UCB

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I can comment! Hi! Just popping over to say hello and catch up on some videos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. So far, I've resisted both series.
    But will probably see the Hunger Games movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Got to keep up with the reading trends or you get left out. My kids and I talk about Harry Potter, and my husband is left out. Now I know how annoying we are.

    I'm sharing this on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Heidi! Fancy meeting you here. I really liked you alternative shampoo post! I tried experimenting with stuff several years ago, but eventually, I gave up the fight, defeated by the convenience of shampoo. Your hair looks great! :D
    -
    Kuairi Kass! You know, I ready two or three potter books and don't feel like I'm missing out on a whole lot by not having read the others. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that point.
    One of the things that the potter books have in common with the hunger game books is that they both feel like training wheel versions for genres I've been reading for a long time. Pleasant enough to ride, but not really worth getting on after having experienced playing around with Icarus's wings (without going too high of course).
    That said, I've powered through the complete collection of the potter movies, and I'll see the hunger games movie too (eventually). I hear it has decent archery in it. : D
    speaking of which you might be briefly entertained by this post from geek dad:
    http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/avengers-hawkeye-archery/
    -
    Teanastëllën Theresa! Maybe so, but sometimes, being left out is an interesting way of having a fresh view point on issues. And surely you and your kids can't be as annoying as the ladies in that video, or at least you can't cackle as obnoxiously. ; j

    ReplyDelete